Green Gram Rainbow Salad

I must say it seemed like a green 2018. I see many of my friends and family members consciously eating healthy food, adding more nutrients, dropping preservatives, picking fresh vegetables, making time for fitness and most importantly taking time for relaxation from all the stressful work, chores and worries. 

I have realised through years as I started cooking and exploring food, it is one of the key factors that brings in happiness to oneself and others. Be it serving a glass of water or a layered delicacy. You will see those memories are the ones that count and last a lifetime. 

I still remember some of the compliments and smiles I received while I made family favourites or surprised a friend with a pineapple pudding cake "Priceless" and this is what keeps me going on days I'm walking a rough road. Thank dear family and friends for making every year ever so special.

And I dedicate this to each and every one of you ringing in the New Year 2019 with happiness and good health.



Ingredients:

1 cup of green gram (soaked overnight)
1 cup of shredded purple cabbage
1 cup of shredded carrot
1/4 cup of chopped dates
1 tbsp of chopped nuts of your choice
1/4 cup of chopped mint leaves
1 tbsp of grated ginger
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of lemon juice
2 cups of hot water

Method:

1. Soak the green gram in hot water for 10 minutes. This makes it slightly tender to chew on.
2. Mix all the vegetables, dates, nut and the strained green gram.
3. Toss in the grated ginger, mint and lemon juice. Mix them all well.
4. Sprinkle salt and mix it. Chill before you serve. Tastes great along with yoghurt.

Note:

Optional vegetables you can add are radish, onion and yellow capsicum.