Scarlet Chicken - Karunchivappu Kozhi

I owe this recipe to my cook Lakshmi, who taught me not to judge a dish by its looks alone. It was New Year's and she told me, "I'll make something new, a dish you haven't tried, I just need 4 ingredients. I was skeptical at first but when we gingerly nibbled on a small piece of this dish we thanked the lord endlessly for blessing us with good food and great people around us.

It goes on to show that you can always find some one who inspires you everyday to cook or to eat :)
















Ingredients:
  • 1/2 kg Chicken (small pieces)
  • 10-12 Dried red chillis (Bedikkai Variety Only)
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 cup water

Method:
  1. Add the chicken, 1/2 tsp of salt and water in a pressure cooker. Allow to cook on high for 3 whistles.
  2. Let it cool, strain the broth and keep aside. Do not discard, you can brew wonderful soups with this broth.
  3. In the meantime heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and roast the red chillis. Careful not to burn them.
  4. Grind it to a fine powder.
  5. In another pan, heat the remaining oil. Toss the chicken, add the remaining salt and 2tbsp of the fresh chilli powder. 
  6. Mix well under low flame for 5 minutes, check for seasoning to add more salt or spice to your taste . Serve it and say 'Thank you Lakshmi" :)
  7. Works great as starters for your party or with sandwiches, rice and chappati